Date: 10/30/17 2:17 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan Beach, Illinois Beach South & North Hawk Watch Monday 10-30-17
Hello Bird People,

Waukegan Beach, Pier & Inlet (7:30-8:15 a.m.)

Started at the Waukegan Beach Pier where Bob E had 3 Dunlin staked out
when I arrived. After Bob left quickly to go to the Hawk Watch I
covered the beach & inlet & on the way back I saw that the previous 3
shorebirds on the pier were now 4. Hoping the new arrival was the
White Rumped seen on Saturday I was disappointed that it was just
Dunlin #4. The only other birds on the pier were a few Herring Gulls
(9) & a lone Junco.

In the backwaters & inlet were P.B. Grebe (1), Canada Geese (31),
Mallard (4) & Gadwall (2).
In the reeds & grasses I only found 1 Swamp Sparrow. Seven Cormorants
flew by & I failed to find the previously reported American Bittern,
Short Eared Owl, Snipe & Snow Bunting although the McCellans did find
the Bittern later. I did not check for land birds at the beach park
but a male Kestrel flew by on my way out.

Illinois Beach South Unit Beach To The Dead River (9-10:30 a.m.)

The only bird actually ON the beach was 1 resting MERLIN but flying by
were Ring Billed & Herring Gulls & 1 calling Dunlin. Right at the
river mouth was a large flock of about 700 ducks of which most (~600)
were Redheads with about 75 Scaup & 14 Green Winged Teal. Spent a fair
amount of time scanning this flock with little reward. To my surprise
there were no Snow Buntings here either.

Illinois Beach North Unit Hawk Watch (10:45 a.m.-1:45 p.m.)

Strong west winds & plenty of hawks flying by including some in close
enough for good looks.
About 11 Hawk Watchers were present while I was there.

Seen by me were Canada Geese, Turkey Vultures (3), Bald Eagles (3),
Harriers (2), Sharp Shinned
(20) & Cooper's (2) Hawks, RED SHOULDERED (3) & Red Tailed (~30) Hawks
& one Merlin.
Biggest surprise here was a late CHIMNEY SWIFT. Before I arrived the
watchers had 2 Barn Swallows & a dark Rough Legged Hawk that I wish I
had seen. Remember that the group totals will be much higher than the
counts I have mentioned. Bob E heard a "rattling" bird call that was
either a Longspur or a Snow Bunting & I was finally able to see that
it was a white Snow Bunting as it went by. I hope to see that species
on the beaches & get a better look.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the 2 well seen Red Shouldered Hawks &
Runner-Up to almost November Chimney Swift.
Had I seen it better the Snow Bunting would also have been an award
winner but not this time.

Al Stokie
In N.E. Lake County today being buffeted by the wind

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: