Date: 10/30/17 2:10 pm
From: Kristi Mayo <writebirds...>
Subject: Red Crossbills at Watkins Mill SP
There are 30+ Red Crossbills at Watkins Mill SP (Clay Co.) today. They’re moving around a lot between the boat ramp parking lot, the dam parking lot, and the pines west of the main park road (just south of the bend in the road before the dam parking lot).

I used my iPhone to record their calls this morning around 8:30 a.m. and sent the audio file to people smarter than me. They have been confirmed as Type 2 ("Ponderosa Pine Crossbill") by Matt Young at Cornell and Marky Mutchler at LSU.

Great article on eBird here:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/crossbills-of-north-america-species-and-red-crossbill-call-types/ <http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/crossbills-of-north-america-species-and-red-crossbill-call-types/>

Kristi Mayo
Kearney MO (Clay Co.)
<writebirds...>
ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/