Date: 10/30/17 2:04 pm
From: CHELEMER, MARC J <mc2496...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Windy day
Jerseybirders,

I checked out Sandy Hook from 11:45 to 1:15 today. Based on a conversation with Jason D., who commented that days with strong west winds are the most likely to push a Cave Swallow "onto the deck" at Sandy Hook, I just spent the 90 minutes at the base of the steps in front of the changing rooms at Parking Lot B, and also walked all the way out to the line where the surf had carved a low "cliff."

Ferocious wind, gritty sand in everything, a few Tree Swallows in the dunes at the north end of Lot B, but no Cave Swallow today. One was reported in Cape May a few minutes after I started back to work. However, the ocean is full of scoters on the move. I saw just one White-winged Scoter amongst the hundreds or Surf and Black. Lots of Gannets, a few Red-throated Loons, my first-of-winter Bonaparte's Gulls, and a few Royal Terns all soared above or dove into the roiling sea.

A glorious 90 minutes of windswept beach, bright sun, bracing air, and the sights of birds (and lots of airplanes!) winging their way through the skies. Cave Swallows will have to be another day.

Good birding,

Marc Chelemer
Tenafly

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>