Date: 10/30/17 1:29 pm
From: Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...> [LACoBirds] <LACoBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] 2nd/different YB Sapsucker Claremont
Okay folks this is going to be confusing, so hold on and pay attention. There is a park in southern Claremont called Blasdell Park where Dan found a yellow-bellied sapsucker. I went to that park this morning and did not see his sapsucker. I shrugged, not worried about it, assuming that sometime during the course of this winter, preferably before December 31st, I will bump into this bird since I live in the neighborhood.
Today I went hiking in the mountains and found three Townsend's solitaires with 50 Western bluebirds at Barrett Stoddard Road (but no Pine Siskins. Yaaargh).
On the way back down I stopped at the northern extreme end of Claremont at Blaisdell Preserve (several miles north of the other Blaisdell location). When I walked in at the southeastern corner of the park i.e. preserve where there is a rusty metal chain across the gravel road and approached the row of thin tamarisk trees, the first bird that I saw was an immature female yellow-bellied sapsucker with an all white throat.
Neil Gilbert (the O.G. original Neil Gilbert who retired and moved out-of-state) introduced me to this Preserve approximately 10 years ago as the go-to spot in the winter for Varied Thrush.

Thomas Geza Miko
653 S. Indian Hill Blvd.,#C
Claremont, CA 91711
cell one: 909.241.3300