Date: 10/30/17 12:45 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
A chilly, windy, and somewhat rainy morning greeted 23 birders for today's Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk.  We tallied 42 species with highlights being a slight growth of duck species with a female Green-winged ear and a Ruddy duck joining the usual compliment of Wood Ducks and Mallards.  Additionally, we spotted 4 Wild Turkeys in a gas line easement, and a large flock of Red-winged Blackbirds.Canada Goose  37
Wood Duck  12
Mallard  18
Green-winged Teal  1
Ruddy Duck  1
Wild Turkey   4Double-crested Cormorant  6
Great Blue Heron  5
Black Vulture  7
Turkey Vulture  4
Sharp-shinned Hawk  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  2
Buteo sp.  1
Ring-billed Gull  8
Mourning Dove  22
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  7
Downy Woodpecker  3
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  4
Eastern Phoebe  2
Blue Jay  7
American Crow  3
crow sp.  1
Carolina Chickadee  3
Tufted Titmouse  3
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
Carolina Wren  3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
Eastern Bluebird  20
American Robin  8
Gray Catbird  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  8
White-throated Sparrow  11
Song Sparrow  9
Swamp Sparrow  3
sparrow sp.  6
Northern Cardinal  9
Red-winged Blackbird  100
House Finch  2
American Goldfinch  4
House Sparrow  2

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 8AM (7AM from March through October), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry Glasgow
Friends of Huntley Meadows Park