Date: 10/30/17 6:17 am
Subject: Broad-billed Hummingbird
I heard first and then located an immature or female Broad-billed Hummingbird a short while ago in Joan's yard, coming to a feeder. Photos were taken. I was alerted by the ruby-crowned kinglet-like chipping. This is at 299 Duck Road in Southern Shores, NC, but gps usually labels that address as Kitty Hawk. 299 is on the west side of Duck Road, between 4th and 5th avenues. Parking is limited and you will not be able to tell until you have entered the driveway. Go to the right corner of the house where I have a couple of chairs set out. There is a feeder on the upstairs window that you can see through the spaces in the stairs. This is the feeder the bird is using, although I put out another one this morning on the four-way feeder nearby. If the bird sticks around, you'll probably hear the chattering first. There are also ruby throats.
Jeff Lewis
Manteo, NC

Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!