Date: 10/30/17 6:07 am
From: 'Kenneth Ward' <phinken...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] North Alabama Birdwatcher's Society schedule/description of trips now available on its website
Hi All,

It was late getting there but the NABS schedule is up on our website, at
www.northalbirding.com <http://www.northalbirding.com> . We offer a number
of field trips to some of the best birding spots in northern Alabama during
the fall/winter/spring. Everyone is welcome to join us on our trips.we
don't have dues and you're basically considered a member once you show up
for a trip. I can also send you a pdf of entire schedule/description of
trips and put you on our emailing list if you're interested. I have pasted
the schedule introduction below:

The North Alabama Birdwatchers Society (NABS) is an informal group that
focuses on birding in northern Alabama. We have been around since 1976 and
are the only birding group in our area to offer a set of regularly scheduled
trips each year. We visit a variety of areas across this part of the state,
most of which are included on the North Alabama Birding Trail (NABT;
www.northalabamabirdingtrail.com <http://www.northalabamabirdingtrail.com>
). Each summer, NABS trip leaders get together and come up with a schedule
like you see here, which we then post on our website (www.northalbirding.com
<http://www.northalbirding.com> ) and send out by email to our members.
NABS is open to everyone, including beginners, and especially young folks
with an interest in birds; there are no membership dues. If you show up for
an outing, you can consider yourself a member.

Our ultimate goal for any NABS outing is to give everyone an opportunity to
observe (and hopefully hear) every bird species we encounter. That seldom
happens, but we usually get pretty close. Our rules of etiquette are few
but the ones we do have are important:

1. Be reasonably restrained, as to making noise (no dogs or unruly
children);

2. While cameras are most welcome, please don't let pic-taking disrupt the
birding (see ultimate goal above);

3. Don't get out in front of the group (flushing the birds before others can
see them is not very nice);

4. Be reasonably constrained in the use of birdsong apps, pishing, etc. to
attract birds, especially breeders;

5. Above all, follow the guidance of the trip leader.

By birding with NABS, you'll have the opportunity to go out with experienced
people who are familiar with the places we visit and who love to share their
knowledge. NABS can also provide greater access to certain areas where it's
restricted, e.g., driving behind locked refuge gates at Wheeler NWR or
visiting the privately-owned Jones' 'Hawk Farm'.

Although the focus is on birds, NABS outings also offer opportunities to
become more generally familiar with many of the beautiful and diverse
natural areas characteristic of northern Alabama. The places we'll visit
provide excellent opportunities to observe, study and appreciate a variety
of flora and fauna, including wildflowers, trees, insects,
reptiles/amphibians and mammals. Some NABS regulars have considerable
knowledge of these other groups and would be glad to answer questions and
provide information during trips.

Most of our trips are on Saturdays, although we have a few Sunday outings
during the spring, when migration is in full swing. Please note that we've
decided to change the meeting time for some of our trips: Aug-Oct and late
March-May will meet at our usual 7 am, while Nov-early March trips will meet
at 8 am. We convene at a pre-arranged meeting spot, that may or may not be
at the actual birding site. From there we either caravan by car (there are
carpooling opportunities) or go for a walk. Cars are used when we have a
lot of area to cover to get to the best birding spots (e.g., Wheeler NWR
trips, Leighton sinks, etc.), but I wouldn't say we bird-by-car, as we
typically stop at a number of spots, with plenty of opportunities to walk
and look for birds. Trips typically last from 2-3 hours to half a day,
although some may include extended birding into the afternoon, for those
interested. Please note that, although it's usually easy to leave early,
there are a few trips behind locked gates that involve a 2- to 3-hour time
commitment (see Wheeler NWR trip descriptions). Bring your binoculars,
spotting scopes, field guides, refreshments, bug repellent and rain gear.
We seldom officially cancel trips; if the weather is bad (heavy rain) or
dangerous (icy roads, severe storms) enough to warrant cancellation, we will
send out an email notice.

If we don't already have your email address, please consider sending it to
us to add to the NABS mailing list. We can then email you our schedule, as
well as trip reminders, and a few other items of interest. In addition, a
copy of the schedule will appear on the NABS website.

Send your comments, questions and suggestions to Rufina or Ken Ward
(256-837-5646; <phinken...> <mailto:<phinken...> ).

Trip descriptions include directions to the meeting place, GPS Coordinates
(for most of the trips), trip leaders and contact numbers. We have also
included some "Events of Interest" for nature lovers. Thanks for your
support and we look forward to seeing you this season!

Join us on Facebook!