Date: 10/29/17 8:47 pm
From: Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein...>
Subject: [obol] Astoria area bird photos - Snow Bunting, Snow Goose, etc (also Sabine’s Gull from last week’s Newport excursion)
Taghrid and I birded the Astoria area today (Ft. Stevens, Wireless Rd, Hammond Boat Basin, Big Creek Fish Hatchery) and had some good luck at Ft. Stevens and the fish hatchery, not so good at the boat basin and Wireless Rd.

At Ft. Stevens, we had very close encounters with an extremely photogenic poser of a Snow Bunting, as well as nice encounters with an immature Snow Goose (thanks all, for the ID correction - we need to study up on our immature geese), as well as a mixed flock of Sanderlings, Dunlins and Western Sandpipers.

At the Fish Hatchery, a very nice and up-close encounter with two American Dippers.

We struck out at Wireless Rd and at the Hammond Boat Basin - huge flock of Brewer’s Black Birds, also huge flock of mostly Western Gulls with a few Glaucous-winged Gulls, but no Black Phoebe, no out-of-the-ordinary sparrows.

Oh, and on the topic of pishing and squeakers, we tried out an Audubon squeaker today, but it has yet to produce the goods :-)

Link to photos of today’s birds (also in the album are photos of last weekend’s Sabine’s Gull from the Newport South Jetty):

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm81H9U9

Good birding,

Nagi & Taghrid

PS: Real photos, this time - not photos of the camera’s LCD display :)

Join us on Facebook!