Date: 10/29/17 7:51 pm
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] 4 places in Rockport, Oct 29, 2017
Andrews Point, Rockport

Oct 29, 2017 7:40 AM - 8:05 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: Ava Steenstrup and I birded the points this morning, followed by John Kieran Sanctuary and Gap Cove. We were here only 25 minutes before driving over to Halibut Pt. Action was good at both places (logical, as they are very close together).
14 species; partial list:

Common Eider 180
Harlequin Duck 29
Surf Scoter 55
White-winged Scoter 15
Black Scoter 130
Long-tailed Duck 6
Common Loon 2
Red-necked Grebe 1
Northern Gannet 200 200 plus--they were really streaming by (no diving observed anywhere today). All ages.
Great Cormorant 3
Double-crested Cormorant 5

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40195959

Halibut Point SP, Rockport
Oct 29, 2017 8:10 AM - 10:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.7 mile(s)
Comments: Ava and I then birded HP. We were on the sea rocks for about 1 hour and 40 minutes. Wind out of SE, no precipitation. Sea was fairly calm with no whitecaps. We had excellent visibility but few alcids and no tubenoses. Almost all the action was ducks and gannets.
30 species; partial list:

Greater Scaup 2 flying with a female black scoter
Common Eider 390
Harlequin Duck 6
Surf Scoter 75
White-winged Scoter 75
Black Scoter 480
Long-tailed Duck 205
Red-breasted Merganser 39
Red-throated Loon 7
Common Loon 11
Red-necked Grebe 1
Northern Gannet 330 no diving
Great Cormorant 2
Double-crested Cormorant 12
Sanderling 15
Razorbill 2
Black Guillemot 1
Herring Gull 40
Great Black-backed Gull 15
Eastern Screech-Owl 1 responded to my imitations near parking lot

View this checklist online athttp://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40196430

John Kieran Sanctuary, Rockport
Oct 29, 2017 10:50 AM - 11:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments: We met Linda Ferraresso here. The place was dead. No sign of either the summer tanager or orchard oriole reported yesterday.
4 species

Blue Jay 1
American Crow 2
Hermit Thrush 3 together
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 2 with the hermits

View this checklist online athttp://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40196800

Gap Cove, Rockport (overlooking Straitsmouth Island)
Oct 29, 2017 11:40 AM - 12:05 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: We finished our outing at this cove, looking esp. for purple sandpipers, but did not see any.
13 species (+1 other taxon)

Mallard 2
American Black Duck 6
Common Eider 30