Date: 10/29/17 7:16 pm
From: Tom SHANE <tom.shane...>
Subject: A Slow Day on the Prairie
Sara and I meandered around for about 100 miles this afternoon out in the Finney County Panhandle. VERY SLOW ! ! Lake Concannon was dry, Byler Rd Pond was down, but had water. The lake west of the low water bridge at the Byler Rd crossing of the Pawnee River was dry. Lake Kinney is almost dry, the pond east of Ravanna, KS was dry.

Our best birds included: Harlan's Hawk ... 1; Killdeer ....... 37; American Crow ....... 1; Eastern Bluebird .... 6; and Mountain Bluebird ...... 9 females, two of which were the rufous adult females.

We had 3 locations with Am Tree Sparrows, and we observed numerous small flocks of female Red-winged Blackbirds.

Surely it will get better,
Tom Shane
Garden City, KS

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html