Date: 10/29/17 5:39 pm
From: Erika Wilson <terika88...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Sierra Vista EOP--29 Oct 2017
Hi, birders,

Nine people walked the Sierra Vista EOP dikes this morning under clear
skies, with the wind kicking up in the late morning. Our group tally was 57
species at morning's end.

Best bird of the day was a single Wood Duck among the large mixed duck
flocks. Seen twice during the morning, most of the 300+ ducks were in the
flooded grasses at the Moson Road impoundments. Am. Wigeon were the most
common, but there were also plenty of N. Pintail, N. Shoveler, Gadwall, and
Green-winged Teal. Only a handful of Cinnamon Teal, Ring-necked Ducks and
Ruddy Ducks--filling in by cattails of open water is making it hard to see
them.

Quite interesting was the complete lack of Killdeer this morning. We were
treated to very noisy rails, with at least 8 Virginia Rails and 4 Sora
calling, although we didn't see any of them today. The only shorebird was a
single Least Sandpiper.

Other birds of note were Great Egret (1), Anna's Hummingbird (1 female),
lingering Cassin's Kingbirds (7), and our first big flock of Am. Pipits
(50+). Sparrow numbers remain low, and blackbirds are increasing slowly,
including wintering W. Meadowlarks.

Cheers, Erika Wilson

--
Erika Wilson, Sierra Vista, AZ