Date: 10/29/17 4:44 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] NH Coast Sea Watch (Caspian Terns, 7,000 Cormorants, etc.)
Great Boars Head, Hampton, Rockingham, New Hampshire, US
Oct 29, 2017 7:20 AM - 1:20 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     Sea watch.  Mostly cloudy to overcast all day with some
spot showers.  Light S winds early, increasing and shifting to SE at 10
knots increasing to 20 knots.  Approaching storm from south.  Birding
from north side.  Then, with permission, we were offered unique
opportunity to bird from private property near tip! With Jason for most
of time.

Brant  6     Two groups of 3 migrating.
Wood Duck  2
Mallard  3
American Black Duck  54
Green-winged Teal  2
Greater Scaup  5
Common Eider  200
Surf Scoter  83
White-winged Scoter  55
BLACK SCOTER  440
Long-tailed Duck  165
Bufflehead  1
Red-breasted Merganser  78
RED-THROATED LOON  281     Largest flocks of 10 to 14 birds.  One flock
of 20.  Birds HEARD VOCALIZING as they passed overhead at Great Boar's Head.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/37968393336/in/photostream/lightbox/
Common Loon  49
Northern Gannet  353
Great Cormorant  1
DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT  7,158     Largest flock was 1,375!!!! Took
about 10 minutes to pass by in long continuous string of birds.  Three
other flocks of 800+.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/38021952291/in/photostream/lightbox/
peep sp.  5
Razorbill  4     Good views.
large alcid sp.  1     Almost certainly a Common Murre, but I backed out
on ID due to distance and my lack of experience with this species.
Appeared paler black on back.  Bill did not appear thick.
Black Guillemot  4
Bonaparte's Gull  7
Laughing Gull  1     Very distant bird.  Appeared to be a juvenile.
Lesser Black-backed Gull  1     Adult.  Flew right below us.
CASPIAN TERN  3     First a single bird seen by Jane and briefly by
Jason.  Then 2 birds flying past point.  My latest record.  Prior late
date for me was 10/21/16.
Peregrine Falcon  2     Both birds coming in from far offshore.  One
clearly a juvenile tundrius.

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, MA