Date: 10/29/17 3:59 pm
From: 'Jorgensen, Joel' <Joel.Jorgensen...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] SNOW, RTLO and crossbills
Following up on my earlier posts, I started out the morning at the Plattsmouth Cemetery where I found 28 Red Crossbills and 2 Red-breasted Nuthatches, among common species (eBird Checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40188324)

Photos of the Snowy Owl can be found here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40189712

Photos of the Red-throated Loon can be found here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40190205

From there, I stopped by the Bellevue Cemetery. I did not find any Red Crossbills on the grounds, but did have one fly over.

I then had a Merlin at the Wehrspann mitigation wetlands.

The way I headed home happen to take me by the Holy Sepulchre cemetery on the east side of Gretna. Even though it did not look like much for birds, there were six large Austrian-type pines that were loaded with cones. Eight Red Crossbills and a Red-breasted Nuthatch were in this small grove (photos: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40192657).http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40192657).

Yesterday, I had 22 Red Crossbills in the pines at Pawnee Lake and about 35 in the pines west of the marina at Branched Oak Lake.

In Seward County, I had one stop near some pines on private property where I had 4 Red-breasted Nuthatches and a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. At another stop near Seward, I had another flock of about 25 Red Crossbills (http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40167109).

Good birding!

-Joel

Joel Jorgensen | Nongame Bird Program Manager
Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
2200 N. 33rd 68503 | 402.471.5440
<joel.jorgensen...><mailto:<joel.jorgensen...>

Join us on Facebook!