Date: 10/29/17 3:00 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Merrimac Farm
Eight birders met at Merrimac Farm Wildlife Management Area in Nokesville for the October version of the Prince William Conservation Alliance Last-Sunday-of-the-Month birdwalk.  Among these eight were four seniors from an environmental ecology class at nearby Patriot High School.  These young eyes and ears helped locate many of our species.  We enjoyed their company.  Our highlights included a large flock of Cedar Waxwings, many Woodpecker species, and many newly arrived White-throated Sparrows.

Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  2
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2
Downy Woodpecker  4
Northern Flicker  8
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  12
American Crow  14
Carolina Chickadee  2
Carolina Wren  3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
Eastern Bluebird  2
American Robin  42
Northern Mockingbird  2
Cedar Waxwing  47
Yellow-rumped Warbler  12
White-throated Sparrow  40
Song Sparrow  2
Eastern Towhee  7
Northern Cardinal  9
American Goldfinch  4

The Prince William Conservation Alliance birdwalks at the Merrimac Farm Wildlife Management Area in Nokesville take place at 8 AM on the final Sunday of every month.  Birders meet at the Area's entrance located at the stonehouse at the end of Deepwood Drive.  Questions may be directed to the Alliance at 703.499.4954,  or <alliance...>

Harry GlasgowNancy Vehrs