Date: 10/29/17 2:28 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (29 Oct 2017) 2 Raptors

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (2): Kathleen Pileggi
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Heavy Rain (100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 3,200-1,100 ft., Visibility - 5-2
miles, Temps 61 - 67F, Winds SSE-NW @ 15 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-tailed Hawk, and
numerous Black (0) and Turkey Vultures (2).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Father Guido Sarducci”---

Father Guido Sarducci? I would never have imagined a blog entitled that,
yet here it is. Surprised? I am, too, though certainly no more than I was
to find “Guido,” straight out of character casting – here at Wawa in
Kennett Square as I arrived for coffee this soggy morning. But there he
was, stepping inside the door directly behind me - the sound of his
footwear (more on those later) clanging upon the tiled floor. I even held
the door for Guido! Does that assure me a place “upstairs” when my time
comes? Surely, it does not. But it did afford me a fine look at his
attire. You remember Guido, right? The character from the old Saturday
Night Live shows? I’m not that old to be irrelevant, am I? Not totally!
Come on!! Google “Guido,” kids… Then watch the old Saturday Night Live
episodes – they’re priceless.

My “Guido” (and I say that with all the heterosexuality I can muster) was
dressed entirely in black, with an elegant flowing effect to the entire
ensemble draped upon his tall, thin frame. There was a black hat with a
wide brim. A wide black “80’s porn star mustache” graced his upper lip,
possibly waxed. Even the tinted, wire-rimmed glasses were spot on! A
man-purse, slung over his neck, was exquisite and added an oh-so-special
air of international sophistication. The long black hair, which upon
escaping the hat, had been partially braided down to mid-back, was equally
so. Trying not to stare while desperately wanting to know if this all was
actually happening, I made my brew as Guido went to the counter with his
items. I remained strategically within earshot. Damn! He even had the
accent, though I couldn’t quite place from which part of Italy. The feet?
They were not neglected in this fine ensemble, rather smartly adorned with
boots of refined Corinthian leather – classic midnight black and brushed to
a satiny finish. Guido was rocking the look. And mind you, it was barely
7am! This guy wakes up like this!? Sadly, I looked down in
comparison…well, my socks matched, though my Duluth boots had holes in
them. OK, my socks too, but the holes – they matched! Does my description
indicate a man-crush? Certainly not - Homey doesn’t swing that way. If
you do, that’s fine, but Homey doesn’t. Just trying to paint a picture for
you, that’s all… It was quite the look – stunning, yet quite familiar. I
thought that perhaps I had made myself some expresso by accident… Maybe I
had gotten ahold of some bad liquor last night? My mug of “field brew”
would never do this to me!

I blame it all on the weather. You see, this trip to Wawa was necessary as
it would be difficult to muster the precision needed for brewing my “field
coffee.” As a “field barista,” I do have exacting standards requiring
rigid measurements and precise temperatures which would be difficult to
achieve and then maintain in the rain and winds of today. No, that flavor
and consistency you’ve all come to savor, does not happen by accident
(Howard). That taste sensation does not show up in my carafe by mere
happenstance. It is all part of a closely guarded secret, the technique
honed over many years of trial and error (OK, mostly error) and kept only
in my…well, my mug - where it will remain firmly in my memory. What day is
today, anyway? What’s my name?? Hopefully there is a Starbuck’s nearby…
If I’m lying about any of this, may I burn in Hell. Is it getting hot in
here?

Birds? You want birds, you say?? OK, birds… Our regular Sunday Bucktoe
bird walk came first today and with the very heavy rains pelting us, only
Kathleen showed up. And that almost counts the birds, too!

Today’s heavy rain did afford me the chance to concentrate on our feeders.
The sparrows continue to be fun, with far more White-throated Sparrows now
coming way out here to the top of the meadow than had ever visited before.
Had word of my field coffee reached them? Probably not, but where we
typically get a few of these birds out here each season, we have been
getting 5 a day. Now, suddenly today, there were many more – perhaps
15-20. They seem to be enjoying the offerings afforded by my cracked corn
sprinkled on the ground, and especially “Bucktoe Basin,” far too much to be
troubled with my field brew, though. With the unique nature and location
of this feeder/water arrangement here at Bucktoe, we will get a more
unusual sparrow species here someday - something beyond the best species
we’ve seen thus far – Clay-colored. My prediction? I think someday we’ll
see a Harris’s or Lark Sparrow, right here at “The Watch.”

For all the migrating hawks I saw during this day’s miserable weather –
exactly two, an adult Bald Eagle and a Sharp-shinned Hawk – frankly, I’d
have been better off working on my Vrksasana pose (tree). I have NO chance
at that, either… And “Guido”…thanks for THAT memory! It was worth it all
and thank you for allowing me to share it!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
5-Wood Duck, 2-Palm Warbler,12-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR> Butterflies (0): Dragonflies (0): Reptiles & Amphibians (0):
Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 1.58; Steps: 3,715; Floors: 6.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 32; this season: 130
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like it'll have to deal with changeable skies -
cloudy at first, later sunny, as this storm breaks.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek