Date: 10/29/17 2:17 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Birding destinations - seeking advice
Nagi, Taghrid,

My traditional places to go in November are Klamath Falls and the
mid-Columbia River, both for waterfowl cutting cross-country from central
Canada to the Pacific coast. These birds look for deep water on their
journey. You can hope to find pacific and red-throated loons, red-necked
grebes, long-tailed ducks, and scoters INLAND at this time of year. Other
deep sites are Phillips Res near Baker City, Wallowa Lake, Wickiup Reservoir
S of Bend, Prineville Res. -- you get the idea.

At the dams at The Dalles, John Day, and McNary, you can look for gulls,
terns, pelicans, and mergansers below the dam, capitalizing on fish stunned
by the turbines. Above the dams you can find birds that want deeper water
like western and red-necked grebes.

Access at The Dalles dam is somewhat limited. I was chased away from the
I-84 ramp above the dam once by security, even though he acknowledged that I
was birding, not casing the site for a terrorist attack (hummm…)

The area below the John Day dam is quite user friendly. You can get close.
There are islands for the pelicans, etc to sit on. There is some access to
stopping above the dam, but not as good as it used to be.

The McNary Dam has a wonderful wildlife area below the dam: trails, ponds
(B-c Night Herons), access to the river. You can also get to the pool above
the dam. In addition, there is the Cold Springs NWR nearby, accessible from
the corner of E Loop Rd and Stanfield Loop Rd: 45.846755,-119.153109

Enjoy!

Paul Sullivan

--------------------------
Subject: Birding destinations - seeking advice
Date: Sat Oct 28 2017 16:39 pm
From: nagi.aboulenein AT gmail.com

Hello OBOLites,

Taghrid and I are seeking advice - we have a long weekend coming up (Nov
10-12), and are seeking advice about places with good birding around
mid-November.

Possible destinations that occurred to us are Malheur NWR, Klamath Basin.
Other places, that we haven™t spent a lot of (or any) time birding yet are
places like central Oregon, Sisters, Summer Lake, etc.

From a birdiness perspective, what would be good places to target during
that long weekend? Areas with concentrations of wintering birds that might
be harder to find in Oregon during other seasons would also be of great
interest.

Good birding,
Nagi & Taghrid

POST: Send your post to <obol...>