Date: 10/29/17 2:09 pm
From: Eric Reuter <eric...>
Subject: Red Crossbills and Red-Breasted Nuthatches at Rocky Fork CA and Finger Lakes SP
Joanna and I popped over to Rocky Fork CA and Finger Lakes SP this
afternoon (northern Boone County) to look for the Red Crossbills reported
yesterday by Greg Leonard. We found a flock of about 25 Crossbills at the
pond just beyond the maintenance shed south of the SE parking lot at Rocky
Fork. They flew a complete circle around us, then settled in two dead
trees within the eastern pond where we could easily observe them. They
weren't feeding but were still very active even when perched, constantly
looking around and vocalizing, quite fun to watch.

We then hiked the Kelley Branch loop trail at Finger Lakes SP, finding two
Red-Breasted Nuthatches in a pine grove along the upper portion of the
trail, and flushing a Winter Wren out from an overhang along the creek
bed.

Otherwise it was very quiet at both locations (on the bird front, at
least, as opposed to the ATV/shooting range front).

Eric & Joanna Reuter
Boone County, MO

ABA Birding Code of Ethics
http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html