Date: 10/29/17 1:50 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Yet Another Wild Crosbill Chase (With The Same Results) At The Morton Arboretum Sun 10-29-17
Hello Bird People,

Bob Erickson & I were among at least 20 birders looking for the 4 Red
Crossbills seen yesterday by Doug S on the west side of the Arb.
Looked from 7:30 to 11 a.m. & like the 3 1/2 hours at Van Patten Woods
came up empty. I am beginning to think that most of the Crossbills
seen so far are not found the next day (with the exception of the Jo
Daviess Co birds) & maybe I'd be better off just looking for my own
rather than looking for birds found by others. We'll see about that.
But most of Doug's birds from Saturday were still around & we added a
few new ones as well so it was a good birding day even without
Crossbills. Here's my list:

Morton Arboretum/West Side Only (7:30-11 a.m.)

Canada Goose (12 fly-bys)
Red Tailed Hawk (1)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (2)
Downy (2) & Hairy (1) Woodpeckers
Blue Jay (7-8)
Chickadee (6)
Red Breasted Nuthatch (4-5)
CAROLINA WREN (1 singing early on)
(I thought this was a big deal but later Eric Walters said he had
found 4 of them!)
Golden Crowned (2) & Ruby Crowned (1) Kinglets
Eastern Bluebird (heard 2)
Robins (10-12)
BLUE HEADED VIREO (1 & I think this is a big deal too)
Y.R. Myrtle Warbler (1)
Cardinal (2-M & 1-F)
Fox Sparrow (1)
White Throated (8) & White Crowned (3) Sparrows
Junco (~25)
PURPLE FINCH (10-12 including at least 3 beautiful males)
PINE SISKIN (over 100)
Goldfinch (15-20)

Some of the birds seen by others (but not by me) on the west side were
Merlin, Cooper's Hawk, W.B. Nuthatch, Winter Wren, Lincoln's, Song &
Swamp Sparrows & House Finch. Probably more!

Quick stops on the way home at Wood Dale Reservoir, Lake Opeka &
Axehead Lake found no ducks except Mallards but did find P.B. Grebes
at all 3 places so at least they are coming in. New day birds besides
the Grebes were R.B. & Herring Gulls & Brown Creepers seen at Opeka &
Axehead.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the late (I think) Blue Headed Vireo &
Runner-Up to the singing Carolina Wren no matter how many Eric had.
Fancy Pants Bird Of The day to the fine looking male Purple Finches.

Al Stokie
Having a fairly good day in mostly DuPage County in spite of again
failing on the Red Crossbills.

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional