Date: 10/29/17 1:13 pm
From: Bob Schutsky <info...>
Subject: Lower Susquehanna River Sightings, Lancaster County
Dear PABirders,

With the break in the afternoon rain, I scoped the Susquehanna River in
front of my house today at about 3pm.

There was a single winter-plumaged Forster's Tern. They are typically
not numerous at this time of year, but often occur in small numbers
through November, even into early December. Conowingo Dam is seven
miles downriver from my house, in northern Maryland. I have previously
seen small numbers of Forster's Terns there into early January.

A single female American Wigeon has been present for about a week. It
hangs out with a flock of Mallards and feeds in the Hydrilla (aquatic
weed) beds.

The male and female adult Bald Eagles were perched near their nest. The
nest is on the red and white mid-river transmission tower, which is
easily viewed with a scope from the boat launch. This pair has been
showing a lot of courtship behavior for the past month.

All for now. Take care,
BOB

BOB SCHUTSKY
Web Site www.birdtreks.com
--
BIRD TREKS--Quality North American Birding Tours
216 Spring Lane

Join us on Facebook!