Date: 10/29/17 10:17 am
From: Kylee Sharp <kyleesharp...>
Subject: Red Crossbills at Clinton Lake State Park, Douglas County
At around 10:30 this morning, I found a small group of Red Crossbills at
Clinton Lake State Park! There were about 6 of them: 2 males and 4
female/juveniles, and they were working the pine trees outside the park
office. I watched them for over 20 minutes, hanging upside down on the pine
cones, prying seeds out, working them with their tongues, etc. What a fun
thing to see! I am not very familiar with the calls of the different types,
but in comparing their calls with the recording that Andrew Burnett posted
on his ebird report, they sounded like the Type II to me (I will do more
research on that). I tried twice to get a sound recording but was
unsuccessful. My iPhone just wasn't sensitive enough to pick up those
sounds.

Kylee Sharp
Lawrence, KS

--
“To the dull mind all nature is leaden. To the illuminated mind the whole
world burns and sparkles with light”

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to
mailto:<ksbird-l-request...>