Date: 10/29/17 7:10 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (28 Oct 2017) 94 Raptors

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Don Manuel, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (14): Kathleen Pileggi, Kathleen Rengert, Tom Brokaw, Stacey
Gummey (+6), Shweta Arya, Don Manuel, Sue Manuel.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Sunny to Partly Sunny (10-70% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 52 - 68F, Winds SSE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-shouldered Hawk,
5-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (60) and Turkey Vultures (75).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-11; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-1; 4 yr.-1; adult-17
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Fly Eagles, Fly…on the Road to …”---

We had Breakfast at Creekside Diner this morning, then it was off to our
site, with plenty of the diner’s coffee consumed. True, it’s not ‘field
coffee,’ but what is? Besides, it will do in a pinch! Action abounded at
“Bucktoe Basin” when I got there, with a dozen or so White-crowned Sparrows
vying for position; Swamp, White-throated, Field, and Savannah Sparrows
were all in the mix.

TLC and the PA Master Naturalist group of 9 were out, including Stacey, Tom
Brokaw & Sweta. The group had seen an eagle, as had we. In fact,
many…many eagles. My was it an eagle morning - the whole day, really! A
record-breaker; then there were three adult Bald Eagles at once over our
site with one of our Ravens “complaining.” Later, a second Raven. How
cool is that? In all, we had 30 Bald Eagles! We tried, but could find not
a single Golden Eagle.

Afterwards, we went to Wild Birds Unlimited in Glen Mills to see our friend
and associate, Gary conduct a discussion on bats – their importance and
troubles. Gary did a fantastic job, as did this great store with the
presentation. I think we all learned something about these essential
mammals. If possible, we all need to provide shelter for bats. See the
store to discover how.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Killdeer, 2-COMMON RAVEN, 1-Horned Lark, 5-Palm Warbler, 3-Savannah
Sparrow, 12-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (3): Monarch - 1, Clouded Sulphur,
Buckeye. Dragonflies (0): Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (1): Eastern
Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.85; Steps: 13,722; Floors:
13.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 50; this season: 130
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a total washout with heavy rain all day.
There may be a few gaps, though.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: