Date: 10/29/17 4:48 am
From: Ted Nichols II <tanicholsii...>
Subject: Last Call: Jun/July 2017 photos for Pennsylvania Birds
If you’ve procrastinated, please have any summer submissions to me by
tomorrow morning... Please follow below instructions, thanks!

**LAST CALL FOR SUMMER (June 1-July 31) PA BIRDS PHOTO SUBMISSIONS**
Do you have some great photos of any birds taken in Pennsylvania from June
1, 2017 - July 31, 2017? Or a picture of a notable/significant sighting
from that period? (Please note I have already received MANY excellent
submissions of the Roseate Spoonbills, I would encourage you to submit
other birds for consideration unless you have something incredible as we
already have more than will be able to be printed for consideration.)

I am currently accepting photo submissions through end of day Oct 29, 2017
to be considered for publication as space permits in the Pennsylvania
Society for Ornithology (PSO) Summer 2017 issue of Pennsylvania Birds.

**Important Note** Images submitted must be high-res and are preferred to
be horizontal shots. Submitted images must be able to be cropped to 1050px
x 700px with a resolution of 300 px/in for horizontal images. If space
allows high-quality vertical portrait shots may be used, but they take up
the space of 2 photos in the layout used by the journal. Vertical photos
submitted must be able to be cropped to 1050px x 1313px at 300 px/in.

Some further instructions... If your submission does not follow the
instructions below or contain the info requested below, it will not be
processed!

- Submissions for consideration **must** be taken during the above date
range and emailed to <pabirdsphotos...>, please make mention of the
word SUMMER in the subject line to simplify processing.

- Please do not submit me dozens of images for consideration, please do
some initial limiting/judging of selections on your end that reflect the
best of your work. However, if you have 15 different images of truly
notable sightings in the state from this period, I'll gladly accept them
for consideration!

- VERY important!!! For each image attached to the e-mail, you must include
a description in the body of the e-mail for that image. Best format to
follow: Species Name - Location, County, DD Month. Sentence about
significance if known/applicable. (Photographer Name) Example: Antillean
Nighthawk - Presque Isle SP, Erie, 12 June. This bird represented a first
state record and was observed through 1 July. (John Doe)

- Please also submit your photos for consideration in full resolution or as
close to full resolution as possible as these will be printed. Your photo
also may be considered for a cover shot and a 250KB image just won't work
for that! I need to be able to crop your photo to fit the space as it
permits in the journal and a precropped / low-resolution image is
problematic for that. It's safe to say that if you're sending me an image
under a megabyte in size, it isn't going to be the resolution I need to
work with. I also need room to crop the image to the specs used for the
newsletter (exact specs posted above) and an extremely tight crop may not
allow me to do that.

- Photos selected for printing in the issue will be credited to the
photographer, please DO NOT submit watermarked/signatured images or they
will not be considered. The image should be clean of any add-ons.

Thanks for considering submitting your photos for consideration for our
statewide ornithology journal!

Regards,
Ted Nichols II
Photo Editor, Pennsylvania Birds