Date: 10/29/17 4:26 am
From: 'Damien J. Simbeck' <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Plegadis ibis, TVA Marbut Bend
Yesterday morning, we had a volunteer work day along the Marbut Bend trail north of Athens, Limestone County. I was able to get in a little birding while I was there. Best birds were on the mudflats of the bay on the east side of the trail. Shorebirds included one of each yellowlegs, three Dunlin, eight snipe and lots of Killdeer. Waders included several Great Blue Herons and Great Egrets. When one group of egrets flew in, I noticed a smaller, all dark bird with its neck outstretched. When it landed, I could easily see its long, decurved bill. It was too distant to have any possibility for specific identification, but Plegadis sp. is still a good bird. At the marsh along the trail boardwalk, I tried for Virginia Rails, unsuccessfully. I did get a fairly cooperative Marsh Wren, though. As I have seen on several occasions each fall, the local Red-headed Woodpeckers were actively gathering acorns. There is a large oak at the edge of one field. They would constantly fly from the dead snags in the beaver pond to the oak, then fly back. There were five birds making the run, so it looked like a Red-headed conveyor belt.

Damien Simbeck
Killen AL

Ornithological Society (AOS) and is provided
as a service to the birding community. AOS
does not endorse the views or opinions expressed
by the members of this discussion group. Nor
does AOS support or endorse the advertising
provided by the Yahoo Groups list service.

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)