Date: 10/28/17 10:55 pm
From: Jeff Parks <lastimout...>
Subject: [cobirds] Loons at Valmont Reservoir

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-VXSvHelRLX4/WfVs7-XNQ7I/AAAAAAAAAMM/WOqxs_lSn6o5FHcIspzLhb-w88zDo68GACLcBGAs/s1600/Three%2BLoons%2Bon%2BValmont%2BRes.jpg>

Hey-o

I went to Valmont Reservoir (outside of Boulder) this morning to see what
was hiding back there. I was hoping to see the Common Loon which has been
hanging out there recently. I set up the scope, and started scanning the
water, and there were three Loons hanging out in close proximity in the
middle of the reservoir. See attached picture. Then, while looking through
the flock of Western Grebes (85 or so), there were two more Loons! I
managed to see all five at once, or nearly at once, since they were in
different parts of the reservoir. Other birds of interest were three Bald
Eagles, one adult and two juveniles. One of the juveniles decided to try
it's luck buzzing a small flock of Coots, hoping to get one to fly high
enough that it could snag it for lunch, I guess. It soon learned that
Coots don't fly much, and tend to dive underwater all at once when an eagle
gets too close. It was great entertainment watching it buzz those Coots
for a few minutes before moving on to other pursuits.

Good Birding -
Jeff Parks
Boulder, CO