Date: 10/28/17 9:51 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: north coast gulls, etc.
Hi -

John wrote. "One California Sea Lion was on the beach at Gearhart,

We are having an outbreak of Leptospirosis in California Sea Lions now on the central and northern Oregon coast, and any that come in onto sandy beaches are likely to be infected.  Dogs are susceptible to it, so if you take a dog to the beach keep it away from sea lions and their tracks/trails, as the bacteria can be passed to dogs that sniff Sea Lion urine.

Wayne

On 10/28/2017 8:30:38 PM, John Rakestraw <rakestrawbirder...> wrote:
The Portland Audubon Gull Class spent a lovely sunny day looking for gulls from Cannon Beach to Hamond. We found nine species of gulls, one less than last year. They were, in order of increasing abundance (not counting hybrids):

Bonaparte's
Ring-billed
Iceland
Herring
Glaucous-winged
Heermann's
Western
Mew
California

The best gull diversity was at the mouth of Ecola Creek at the north end of Cannon Beach. Forts Stevens was too foggy to scan well, but we did pull lots of Sanderlings and Dunlin out of the gloom. At least five River Otters swam by us at the Hammond Boat Basin. One California Sea Lion was on the beach at Gearhart.

Cheers,
John Rakestraw

--

John Rakestraw