Date: 10/28/17 6:16 pm
From: <peachjmc...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Lyman Woods DBC Field Trip Results

Today’s DBC walk at Lyman Woods in Downers Grove was attended by 6 die-hard birders. (5 for the entire walk, and 1 who arrived an hour late and couldn’t find the group, birded “with us” around the visitor’s center for 2 hours, adding 2 species to our list.) We were constantly entertained by a number of things other than birds: 7 “frolicking” deer, a strange croaking frog (we think), and a whole array of weather: drizzle, light snow, rain, sleet and hail. Fun times!! But we came away with 39 species so we were pretty pleased, and had a LOT of fun and craziness. A big surprise towards the end of our 4-hour walk was a flock of 6 beautiful Fox Sparrows near the little pond on the west side of the property, not far from Highland Avenue (in addition to 10 others during the rest of the walk!) Couldn’t have asked for a better group of birders to join me on this walk.

A complete list is below.

Joan Campbell, DuPage County, Downers Grove

Canada Goose 23
Wood Duck 2
Mallard 27
Mallard (Domestic type) 1
Cooper's Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 2
Killdeer 4 fly-overs. Saw and heard calling!
Mourning Dove 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 21
Downy Woodpecker (Eastern) 13
Hairy Woodpecker (Eastern) 3
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 1
Blue Jay 28
American Crow 1
Black-capped Chickadee 12
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 10
Brown Creeper 1
Winter Wren 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 5
Eastern Bluebird 4
American Robin 16
Cedar Waxwing 19
Nashville Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 9
Field Sparrow 2
Fox Sparrow (Red) 16
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored/cismontanus) 18
White-crowned Sparrow 1
White-throated Sparrow 34
Song Sparrow 2
Lincoln's Sparrow 1