Date: 10/28/17 6:04 pm
From: David Irons <LLSDIRONS...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Birding destinations - seeking advice
You might consider a trip east through the Columbia Gorge. The large pools above the dams usually have lots of gulls, grebes, loons, and ducks this time of year. The area around McNary Dam, particularly the network of ponds below the dam is almost always very bird. Umatilla and Cold Springs NWRs both get lots of raptors and waterfowl. Strange gulls and other fun stuff (scoters, Long-tailed Ducks) and unusual sparrows are all possible along the river. You can also wander up into Washington a bit. The Walla Walla River mouth area has a long history of producing rare gulls and McNary NWR is good for waterfowl.

It's a bit early to know what sort of northern finch year it is in extreme NE Oregon, but Wallowa County is another option that might provide ample entertainment.

Dave Irons

Beaverton, OR