Date: 10/28/17 5:26 pm
From: Lindsey Duval <lindsey.duval...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Waterfowl and such 10/28
This morning I joined the Red crossbill festivities at Rensselaerville
State Forest and then wandered off. Some of you knew that I was off to
finally get some species for myself in Montgomery County. I randomly found
a Cooper's Hawk as my first. I stopped at the Auriesville Pilgrimage Lunch
Area in/by Amsterdam and was psyched to find three really close juvenile
White-winged Scoters. The only other species of any note there was Common
Merganser, with 14 enjoying the sun. I also visited Mosher Marsh northeast
of Amsterdam and that was terrible.

I later joined Stacey and Gary on their way up north and am very grateful
that they took me around Saratoga Lake in a windstorm as I wouldn't have
seen what we did without a scope. We found scattered American Coots, a few
Buffleheads, a raft of 23 Black Scoters, Red-breasted Mergansers were still
present, a Common Loon, 6 or 7 White-winged Scoters, and then closer to
sunset 6 Brant joined us at Brown's Beach. The Brant magically disappeared
shortly before Susan Beaudoin came to see them, which I found rude.

- Lindsey D.

Join us on Facebook!