Date: 10/28/17 3:18 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan Beach, Lyons Woods & IBSP North Unit Hawk Watch Saturday 10-28-17
Hello Bird People,

Waukegan Beach Park (7:30-8:45 a.m.)

Although my string of shorebird sightings ended on Wed today some were back.

D.C. Cormorant (2 by Greenwood)
Canada Goose (44 plus 16 more in the park & another 8 in the harbor)
Mallard (2)
Gadwall (22 in the inlet)
NORTHERN HARRIER (1-IM, hunting the dunes)
Dunlin (4 on the pier)
Snipe (2 in the wet dunes)
Ring Billed (49) & Herring (16) Gulls
Red Winged Blackbird (a few)

Also in the harbor were 2 Coots & land birds in the park included G.C.
Kinglet (2) & Sparrows were
Junco (2), White Throated (8) & a late CLAY COLORED.

I should mention that later in the day both Ted W & Scott L saw a
single SNOW BUNTING on the beach which I did not see when I was there.

Lyons Woods (9-9:40 a.m.)

Only expected birds here including Red Bellied Woodpecker, Blue Jays,
Crows, Chickadee,
Red Breasted Nuthatch, Robins & Y.R. Myrtle Warbler. Sparrows were
Swamp (2), FOX (1),
White Crowned (1-IM) & Junco.

Illinois Beach North Unit Hawk Watch (my time there was 10:15 a.m. to 2 p.m.)

Raptors seen by me were Turkey Vulture, Osprey, Bald Eagle, N.Harrier (1-AD-M),
Sharp Shinned Hawks, Cooper's Hawks (2), Red Tailed Hawks, ROUGH
LEGGED HAWK & Merlin.

Also flying by were Canada Geese, one TRUMPETER SWAN, Greater
Yellowlegs & Snipe.

Several birders mentioned having checked Van Patten Woods for
Crossbills but none were found that I know of.

Bird-Of-The-Day for me will be the light phase Rough Legged Hawk (1)
but I see that the official count shows 5 of them plus a couple Red
Shouldered Hawks so they must have had a good finish as they often do.
Runner-Up to the late Clay Colored Sparrow.

Al Stokie
In N.E. Lake County today seeing some birds & missing some as well.

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: