Date: 10/28/17 2:30 pm
From: Tom SHANE <tom.shane...>
Subject: Red Crossbills, Finney County
Sara heard and observed five Red Crossbills fly over our neighborhood yesterday, 27 OCT 2017, giving calls different than our usual Type 2. I ran through the recordings of the likely ones for our area; Types 2, 3, 4, & 5, for her several times and she was certain that her birds were most similar to Type 5.

During the big invasion of '96 & '97 I was able to get recordings of the RECRs when they brought their juveniles to our feeders and pond. I was also able to hear a crossbill sing for the first time. I took the recordings down to the KU museum were Dr Richard Prum put them into a program (Canary ?) and concluded they were Type 2. That was an amazing crossbill year, I found the first RECR on 4 JUL '96 at the Bison Range and located the last one about four blocks south of our Garden City house on 3 JUL '97.

I hope this year turns out even more exciting.
Tom and Sara Shane
Garden City

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to