Date: 10/28/17 1:47 pm
From: Kimball Garrett <kgarrett...> [LACoBirds] <LACoBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] White-crowned X White-throated Sparrow, etc., Veterans Park
Birders,

Veterans Park in Sylmar this morning was a bit disappointing for "winter invasive" species (though 2 Red-breasted Nuthatches there fit this category). But there was a very interesting Zonotrichia sparrow at the edge of the brushy area north of the olive tree row that appeared to be a White-crowned X White-throated Sparrow hybrid, a combination I have not seen before. Photos are in my eBird checklist here:

Also of note was a female Williamson's Sapsucker happily foraging high on the trunk of one of the tall palms north of the west side of the olive tree row.

Kimball

Kimball L. Garrett
Ornithology Collections Manager
900 Exposition Blvd.