Date: 10/28/17 1:02 pm
From: Kimball Garrett <kgarrett...> [LACoBirds] <LACoBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Anybody birding Encanto Park/San Gabriel River in Duarte tomorrow?
All,

Due to a monumental calendar screw-up, I am not available to lead a bird walk I was supposed to lead in Duarte tomorrow morning (Sunday 29 October) for the Duarte Historical Society. This is a walk I do once or twice a year, partly because it's a fun birding area, and partly as a favor to my sister Claudia who presides over that group.

The walk will begin at 7:30 a.m. from the Duarte Historical Museum in Encanto Park (off Encanto Parkway north of Foothill Blvd. in Duarte, along the west side of the San Gabriel River). Donuts and coffee are available inside the museum at 7:00 a.m. We usually make a circuit around Encanto Park, the cross the Puente Largo bridge to the east side of the river channel and work upstream to one or two of the flood control weirs. There's water in the river, and it's a good time of year to get a good variety of birds. The walk shouldn't last more than two hours -- we usually go over the bird list at the end of the walk (more coffee and donuts).

If anybody is available to lead the walk, please let me know (off the list-serve) and I can give you more details. It's very low-pressure birding (most of the participants are beginners, and many are perpetual beginners). If there are several of you - that's even better.

Looking forward to hearing from someone.

Kimball

Kimball L. Garrett
Ornithology Collections Manager
900 Exposition Blvd.