Date: 10/28/17 12:29 pm
From: <festuca...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Nisqually eBird report Oct 25, 2017
Hi all - I thought I'd pass on the full eBird list from the weekly Wednesday walk at Nisqually Refuge.

The most 'exciting' bird was a late-October Empidonax flycatcher near the Twin Barns. Our views of it (no photos, dang it), and Nathanael Swecker's sonogram app led us to, initially, list it as a Pacific-slope. eBird reviewer Dave Slager correctly pointed out that, even with the sonogram, identification between the two "Western" flycatcher species is problematic - especially this time of year - and I revised the report to reflect that uncertainty.

Of course, the discussion of Pacific-slope versus Cordilleran flycatchers devolved into a discussion of "what constitutes a species?". I won't go any further down that slippery slope, lest I start my amateur pontificating on the American/Northwestern Crow debate....
;-{)

Hope to see you at one of the weekly walks at Nisqually NWR. Refuge volunteers lead the walks beginning at 8 a.m. at the Visitors' Center every Wednesday.

Cheers,
Jon. Anderson
OlyWA

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
Oct 25, 2017 8:00 AM - 2:25 PM
Protocol: Traveling - 4.0 mile(s)
Comments: This was the weekly Wednesday Walk led by Refuge volunteers. The weather was partly to mostly cloudy with a light rain shower, temperature 41-61 °F. Southwest wind was 0-15 knots. There was a +12.95 foot High Tide at 10:39 am. Mammals seen included beaver, Eastern Gray Squirrel, Harbor Seal, Mink and Black-tailed Deer.
68 species (+7 other taxa)

Snow Goose (Anser caerulescens) 3
Greater White-fronted Goose (Anser albifrons) 1
Cackling Goose (minima) (Branta hutchinsii minima) 1500
Cackling Goose (Taverner's) (Branta hutchinsii taverneri) 40
Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) (Branta canadensis moffitti/maxima) 45
Northern Shoveler (Spatula clypeata) 135
American Wigeon (Mareca americana) 975
Mallard (Northern) (Anas platyrhynchos platyrhynchos/conboschas) 455
Northern Pintail (Anas acuta) 385
Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca) 850
Ring-necked Duck (Aythya collaris) 1
Surf Scoter (Melanitta perspicillata) 4
Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola) 2
Hooded Merganser (Lophodytes cucullatus) 1
Common Merganser (Mergus merganser) 1
Common Loon (Gavia immer) 2 Flyover seen from orchard area, basic-plumaged bird feeding in McAllister Creek
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 22
Northern Harrier (Circus hudsonius) 2 At least one female, and a male seen on west side of McAllister Creek
Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii) 1
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) 11
Red-tailed Hawk (calurus/alascensis) (Buteo jamaicensis calurus/alascensis) 2
Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) 1 Vocalized from cattail marsh
American Coot (Fulica americana) 2
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) 3
Dunlin (Calidris alpina) 2
Least Sandpiper (Calidris minutilla) 85
Western Sandpiper (Calidris mauri) 1
peep sp. (Calidris sp. (peep sp.)) 50 Likely more Least sandpipers
Wilson's Snipe (Gallinago delicata) 4
Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca) 12
Mew Gull (American) (Larus canus brachyrhynchus) 25
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 130
Glaucous-winged Gull (Larus glaucescens) 8
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) (Larus occidentalis x glaucescens) 2
Larus sp. (Larus sp.) 30
Caspian Tern (Hydroprogne caspia) 3 * continuing large terns, bright red bills
Eurasian Collared-Dove (Streptopelia decaocto) 1
Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna) 1
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon) 2
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens) 2
Downy Woodpecker (Pacific) (Picoides pubescens gairdnerii/turati) 4
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) (Colaptes auratus [cafer Group]) 4
American Kestrel (Falco sparverius) 1 Female
Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) 1 Large bird, likely a female
Pacific-slope/Cordilleran Flycatcher (Western Flycatcher) Empidonax difficilis/occidentalis 1
* Flagged late. Observed by many near Twin Barns overlook. Vocalizing Empidonax flycatcher, distinct eye ring which was longer distally, wide yellow lower mandible, overall yellower-olive body cast, Buffy wing bars, sonogram recorded.
Nathanael Swecker writes: Spectrum View of the Empid in question. After a . . . brief search for all vocalizations of Pacific-slope Flycatcher I have found two recordings that exactly match our bird. Based on the visual ID and the preliminary similarities in the spectrogram we should label this bird as a Pacific-slope Flycatcher.
Steller's Jay (Coastal) (Cyanocitta stelleri [stelleri Group]) 1 Vocalized West of McAllister Creek
American/Northwestern Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos/caurinus) 60
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 18
Chestnut-backed Chickadee (Poecile rufescens) 5
Bushtit (Psaltriparus minimus) 13
Red-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta canadensis) 1
Brown Creeper (Certhia americana) 5
Pacific Wren (Troglodytes pacificus) 6
Marsh Wren (Cistothorus palustris) 1
Bewick's Wren (Thryomanes bewickii) 2
Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa) 22
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula) 7
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 48
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 600
American Pipit (Anthus rubescens) 14
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) 40
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) (Setophaga coronata coronata) 1 Maple grove at Twin Barns

Orange-crowned Warbler (Oreothlypis celata) - 1
Fox Sparrow (Sooty) (Passerella iliaca [unalaschcensis Group]) 8
Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) (Junco hyemalis [oreganus Group]) 4
Golden-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia atricapilla) 16
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) 1 Tan striped
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 24
Lincoln's Sparrow (Melospiza lincolnii) 3
Spotted Towhee (Pipilo maculatus) 2
Spotted Towhee (oregonus Group) (Pipilo maculatus [oregonus Group]) 6
Western Meadowlark (Sturnella neglecta) 5
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 45
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus) 1
Pine Siskin (Spinus pinus) 36
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 5

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40122844

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/nw)