Date: 10/28/17 8:06 am
From: Derek C. Richardson <dcr...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Rocky Gorge late migrants

Highlights today at Rocky Gorge/Supplee Park in Laurel (PG County)
included Orange-crowned (my first at this location) and Nashville Warbler
(I've not seen many at this location either), along with a Blue-headed
Vireo, a nice variety of sparrows (except surprisingly few White-throated
compared to last week), and my first Winter Wren of the season. Full list
below (there's audio of the Orange-crowned at the eBird link at the end).

Rocky Gorge Reservoir/Supplee Park, Prince George's, Maryland, US
Oct 28, 2017 9:03 AM - 10:18 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.15 mile(s)
Comments: Distance is one way. Mostly sunny, with high cloud (and sun
dogs!). Cool, light breeze at first, strengthening sharply after 9:45 am.
31 species

Great Blue Heron 1
Turkey Vulture 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1 chased from the power pylons by crows
Red-bellied Woodpecker 3
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 2
Pileated Woodpecker 3
Blue-headed Vireo 1
Blue Jay 15
American Crow 6
Fish Crow 2
Carolina Chickadee 6
Tufted Titmouse 6
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Winter Wren 1 scolding me without provocation!
Carolina Wren 10
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
Eastern Bluebird 6
American Robin 6
Northern Mockingbird 4
European Starling 6
Orange-crowned Warbler 1 good looks at close range: overall
greenish-yellow appearance in bright sunshine with yellowish eyering and
an eyeline that made the black bill look especially sharp; no
wingbars; faint streaks on chest and noticeable yellow under the tail;
flicked its wings occasionally as it foraged in bushes beside a clearing;
audio recording of sharp chips (there might have been a second bird calling)
Nashville Warbler 1 great looks: white eyering on gray face, yellow
chest and undertail, no wingbars, dull olive above, pumping its tail a bit
while foraging in roadside bushes
Field Sparrow 6
White-throated Sparrow 2
Song Sparrow 4
Swamp Sparrow 2
Eastern Towhee 1
Northern Cardinal 12
American Goldfinch 2
House Sparrow 25

View this checklist online at

Derek C. Richardson, Laurel, PG County, MD
http://www.astro.umd.edu/~dcr/personal.html