Date: 10/28/17 7:24 am
From: Ruth Stearns <ruthstearns...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Johnson, Pawnee and Richardson county birds (in eBird)
A bit belated posting, but here 'tis...On that lovely Wednesday this week, Mike and I stopped at a few of Bill Flack's "hotspots" through Johnson, Pawnee and Richardson counties, en route to Kansas.  The occasional sparrows were the highlights, along with a few county birds here and there....At Wirth Brothers RA in Johnson County, were Harris Sparrows and a Fox Sparrow. http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40114098
Further south, at Twin Oaks WMA (my favorite spot and new to me), were Harris, Vesper, Fox, and two absolutely gorgeous, close by, not shy, in the sun, full view Leconte's Sparrows.   Had all the time in the world to check out the white crown stripe, purple streaky nape, broad streaks on the back and the gray cheek patches.   And the orange, wow!  Also a Rough-leg was hovering over the prairie, before drifting south...and right away the Northern Harrier was cruising low.  A large flock of Red-winged blackbirds were hanging out on a bare tree, and the goldfinches were enjoying the sunflower heads.  eBird checklist....http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40115082
We then began heading east again, stopping at Table Rock WMA (someday I REALLY need to stay here longer).   The Tufted Titmice were a fun find, but quite at home in the oak forested area.  Also found a single Cedar Waxwing and some Yellow-rumps.  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40116768
Last stop was into Kirkman's Cove where I finally spotted some waterfowl and two DC Cormorants.  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40117660  Then it was off to Kansas, the fall Red-tail Hawk capitol of the world it seemed.
I added four birds to my Richardson county list, two to Johnson and five to Pawnee.
Good birding.
Ruthie StearnsLincoln, NE

Join us on Facebook!