Date: 10/28/17 7:06 am
From: Nathan Pieplow <npieplow...>
Subject: [cobirds] Yellow-throated Warbler no; Type 4 crossbill yes
I looked for the Yellow-throated Warbler this morning but didn't see it. No
Yellow-rumps either. I'll post if it shows up.

I did hear a couple of Type 4 Red Crossbills fly over. Unfortunately I
didn't get a recording, but Type 4 is one of the easier types to identify
by ear. It is the third most common type in Colorado (after our two
breeding types, the widespread Type 2 and the high-elevation Type 5) but it
is not present most years. This is shaping up to be an invasion year -- I
was pretty sure I heard some in the neighborhood a couple weeks ago, and
Dave Leatherman thought he heard some in Fort Collins.

When Type 4s are on the move, other types often are too. On Thursday a
group of Type 2 Red Crossbills were on the CU campus. If you run into Red
Crossbills anywhere, please make an audio recording and upload it to your
eBird checklist. Even poor-quality recordings from your phone can be of
huge help in clarifying the range and movements of the different crossbill
call types.

Nathan Pieplow
Boulder