Date: 10/28/17 4:48 am
From: Sandy Turner <tmsprgrn...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Bald Eagle vs. Wood Duck?
While monitoring the first Bald Eagle nest in forty years at Lake Umbagog
years ago, my husband and I watched over 4 years while a Bald Eagle honed
his skills to catch ducks. The first year it dived at the duck which then
dived underwater and the eagle gave up. By the 4th year, the eagle would
continue diving at the duck until it tired, and the eagle could pick it
off. Have also seen a Bald Eagle chase a Snowy Egret in Florida. The
egret had a shorter turn radius and evaded the eagle for many minutes, but
eventually the eagle snagged it. And then there is the eagle in Florida
that picked up a large turtle, carried it about 100 feet into the air and
dropped it ..... several times until the shell cracked and the eagle could
open it! Watching such behavior is amazing.

Sandy and Mark Turner
Lyman, NH

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 2:13 AM, Michele Patenaude <michelep...>
wrote:

> I once saw an Bald Eagle attack a Great Blue Heron at Shelburne Bay. As
> Jane Stein mentioned, the eagle dropped down from a tree onto the heron as
> it was flying in. The eagle almost caught the heron by the leg , but the
> heron twisted sideways and lost altitude quickly, and just barely got away.
> Lots of squaking .
>
> Michele Patenaude
> 172 Woodbury Road
> Burlington, VT 05408
> 802-862-4085
>
> > On Oct 20, 2017, at 7:24 PM, Jane Stein <jeshawks...> wrote:
> >
> > I've seen this a lot, actually. There isn't usually a chase involved,
> it's more often suddenly dropping down from a tree hanging over the water.
> I'm guessing your eagle did that initially and missed.
> >
> > Jane (Shoreham)
> >

> >> On 10/20/2017 6:47 PM, Mike Sargent wrote:
> >> A few days ago I was driving along the Androscoggin River when I saw a
> bald eagle flying down the river, between 5-10 feet above the water. It had
> a white head and tail but still had some streaking of its wings and body.
> Then I realized that it was chasing a female wood duck. It tried to attack
> the duck from above, and the duck landed in the water and thrashed its
> wings upward. This caused the eagle to give up, turn around, and fly back
> up the river. The duck noisily resumed flying down the river.
> >> I've seen eagles chased by everything from red-winged blackbirds to
> ospreys to peregrine falcons, but I've never seen an eagle try to attack
> another bird. Or maybe it was just trying to drive the duck out of its
> perceived territory. Otherwise, a duck seems a particularly unlikely
> target. Is this behavior less unusual than I think it is? Thanks in advance
> for any responses.

Join us on Facebook!