Date: 10/27/17 11:13 pm
From: Michele Patenaude <michelep...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Bald Eagle vs. Wood Duck?
I once saw an Bald Eagle attack a Great Blue Heron at Shelburne Bay. As Jane Stein mentioned, the eagle dropped down from a tree onto the heron as it was flying in. The eagle almost caught the heron by the leg , but the heron twisted sideways and lost altitude quickly, and just barely got away. Lots of squaking .

Michele Patenaude
172 Woodbury Road
Burlington, VT 05408
802-862-4085

> On Oct 20, 2017, at 7:24 PM, Jane Stein <jeshawks...> wrote:
>
> I've seen this a lot, actually. There isn't usually a chase involved, it's more often suddenly dropping down from a tree hanging over the water. I'm guessing your eagle did that initially and missed.
>
> Jane (Shoreham)
>

>> On 10/20/2017 6:47 PM, Mike Sargent wrote:
>> A few days ago I was driving along the Androscoggin River when I saw a bald eagle flying down the river, between 5-10 feet above the water. It had a white head and tail but still had some streaking of its wings and body. Then I realized that it was chasing a female wood duck. It tried to attack the duck from above, and the duck landed in the water and thrashed its wings upward. This caused the eagle to give up, turn around, and fly back up the river. The duck noisily resumed flying down the river.
>> I've seen eagles chased by everything from red-winged blackbirds to ospreys to peregrine falcons, but I've never seen an eagle try to attack another bird. Or maybe it was just trying to drive the duck out of its perceived territory. Otherwise, a duck seems a particularly unlikely target. Is this behavior less unusual than I think it is? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Join us on Facebook!