Date: 10/27/17 9:04 pm
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Western MA waterbird fallout - part III!
Hi again,

Waterbirds continue to appear in the western end of the state. Most exciting was a BARNACLE GOOSE which Dorrie Holmes photographed at a City of Springfield water treatment pond on Granville Road/Westfield!
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40155815 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40155815>

Dorrie’s other finds on Friday, all in Hampden County (I think), included 2 Ruddy Ducks and 2 Surf Scoters on Twining Pond; 7 Black Scoters at South East Bay of Otis Reservoir; 4 Ring-necked Ducks on Blair Pond, Blandford; 1 Common Loon on Bordon Brook Reservoir; and 4 Surf Scoters and 1 Black Scoter on Cobble Mountain Reservoir.

Meanwhile, back at Winsor Dam on the Quabbin, Larry Therrien’s count increased to 155 Black Scoters, 12 Surf Scoters and 6 White winged Scoters plus a long tailed duck, 3 lesser scaup and 2 Black ducks. Then Scott Surner took a turn and upped that to 211 Black Scoters, 10 Surf Scoters, 4 White-winged Scoters, 2 Long-tailed Ducks, a Common Loon, a Red-necked Grebe, a Double-crested Cormorant, and 32 Ring-billed Gulls.

Good birding! Really hope there’s some action left when I get a chance to get outside again, probably not until Monday...

Josh

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA
http://bugguide.net/user/view/2399