Date: 10/27/17 8:06 pm
From: Justin Rink <spindalis79...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Red Crossbill- Sarpy Co.- 10/27
 This afternoon I decided to head to the Bellevue Cemetery in the hope of a flock of Crossbills.  I had forgotten how sparse the cone-yielding conifers were in this particular plot.   In the wind, not much was heard.  However, about 10 minutes after my arrival I heard and then observed a single flyover RED CROSSBILL flying west to east.
  I also visited Offutt Base Lake as well as Haworth Park which were pretty void of avian life.
  Heading back toward Omaha, I stopped at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery along Leavenworth St. where I soon came across a few RED CROSSBILLS crunching on a surprisingly healthy Scotch Pine.  I only witnessed a few feeding.  However, when they took off, up to 15 CROSSBILLS were observed in the flock. (Mostly Type 7.  At least one Type 4).
  My last stop was West Lawn Cemetery where I got gypped (pun intended) on Red Crossbills.  I did however hear a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH and came across an odd female Northern Cardinal with a white "mask" on each side of her face.  This is either a genetic anomaly or a very odd case of partial leucisticism.
  In mammalian news a Red Fox was also observed here.
All reports can be seen on eBird.
Good birding.
Justin RinkMidtown Omaha, Douglas Co., <NEspindalis79...>

Join us on Facebook!