Date: 10/27/17 6:35 pm
From: Jon Woolf <jsw...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Coastbirding 10/27
I spent some time on the coast this afternoon, just roaming along 1A
stopping at familiar places. Found nothing really unusual, but a few
sightings worth posting. The most unusual one was two geese of some
sort, which I'm fairly sure were BRANT, flying south past Great
Boar's Head. I can't think of what else they could have been:
big-bodied, long-necked birds with a very gooselike flight style, but
the obvious white chin strap of the Canada Goose was nowhere to be
seen, and the neck seemed short for Canadas too.

Seabrook Harbor had a decent number of shorebirds, a mix of
Black-bellied Plovers and Dunlin. There were also some Dunlin on the
rocks at Ragged Neck. Along the coast, there were a handful of
Common Loons, some White-winged Scoters, and one group of four or
five female Red-breasted Mergansers.

On Eeel Pond I saw a bird that might have been the
previously-reported Common Gallinule. Or it might have been an
American Coot. It was swimming like a coot, with the
forward-and-back head motion that I associate with coots. OTOH, I'm
not at all familiar with gallinules - do they swim the same way?

Closer to home, a stop at Massabesic Audubon Center found a couple of
White-throated Sparrows, some Song Sparrows, a Cardinal, and many
House Finches.

-- Jon Woolf
Manchester, NH