Date: 10/27/17 5:24 pm
From: reports--- via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Harvey's Knob (27 Oct 2017) 17 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 1 2
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 3 7

Total: 17 259 8471

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Mitch Mitchell

Observers: Dan DeHart, Darryl Martin, Don A., Mike Crowder

Visitors:
A couple from Glenwood Springs, CO stopped in and chatted with us for a
good while. The gentleman was a retired wildlife biologist and he an his
wife had been on the road touring the northeast and headed to visit
relatives in NC. Another young man from Florida stopped in and inquired
about our activity and we supplied him with as much information as a misfit
is capable of (which means he may have actually left knowing less than when
he arrived).

Weather:
Beautiful day on the mountain with the temperature at the beginning of
watch at a surprising 48 F and climbing steadily through the day to a high
of 69. Cloudless skies the entire day made spotting birds difficult.
Winds were from the southeast throughout the day and light at 1-2 mph for
the first few hours then increasing to 5-6 mph after that. Visibility was
a solid 5 from start to finish.

Raptor Observations:
First bird was a sharp shinned in the 10:00 hour and the majority of the
birds spotted were accipiters. As usual the first signs of bird activity
were TVs and ravens and at one point we spotted a group of 8 ravens over
the knob.

Non-raptor Observations:
Tons of traffic from would be leaf peepers on the Parkway with many
stopping in the overlook and some inquiries as to our activities. The
Friday watch has now been dubbed Mitchell's Misfits (not my idea and I'm
not sure what prompted that). A few monarchs, blue jays and swifts seen
throughout the day.

Predictions:
Forecast calling for a chance of rain later in the afternoon. Hopefully
after the watch is complete.
Report submitted by stan Mitchell (<mitchmitchell7...>)
Harvey's Knob information may be found at:
http://bijame.googlepages.com/home

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=482