Date: 10/27/17 5:12 pm
From: Yong Kong <yklitespeed...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] My day at Brig
I went to Brig today hoping to see that very special visiting shorebird but not to beef up my bird life list. Reason ? Simple, when your life list is somewhere around 238, there is no reason to freak out and chase. I am not going to write about that sun-lit and bleached-out looking yellowleg that I saw and that is going down the eBird tube as Common Greenshank.

My second high light of the day was when I taking my time along the dike and arrived near the Marker 9 to scan the far and distant flock of y’legs. As I started my own scan, a birder name, Marshall, yelled “greenshank” and gave me a fantastic direction as to where to look.

My first high light of the day was just watching this Marshall dude keeping track of the shank to perfection. When the shank took flight, he never lost sight of it. It did not matter if the bird was in flight, hidden behind Spartina marsh island, or moving fast along the shallow water amongst the flock of y’legs. He was on it and he got so many birders onto the Shank. Anyone chasing the shank at Brig today should be thankful that this dude was there.

Later I found out that his full name is Marshall Iliff, a member of some sort of birding club from NY called eBird. Then, it all made sense to me that I met a superman of birding.

Some photos of that sun-lit and bleached-out looking yellowleg that is going down the eBird tube as Common Greenshank on my Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56086564@N04/

Yong Kong
Camden County

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>