Date: 10/27/17 4:56 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (27 Oct 2017) 40 Raptors

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (2): Kathleen Pileggi.
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Sunny (10-25% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 44 - 64F, Winds W-S @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-shouldered Hawk,
6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (70) and Turkey Vultures (80).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-4
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Jupiter??”---

If women are from Venus and men are from Mars (is that right? I have
another planet in mind), then just where is my GPS from? She has a female
voice and we’ve named her ‘Destiny,’ but this is no woman like I’ve ever
met. Pretty cool name for a GPS, isn’t it? Well, I can’t speak to Destiny
at all, at times. Then she talks to my cell phone without me saying a
word. My cell phone will say something and DESTINY will answer back! The
two are planning something – that, I can tell you. Lord knows where they
are taking me. Well, Destiny was giving me trouble this morning – ignoring
me… WOMEN!!!

I mention this because I have a mind to tell you my GPS story. I likely
have told this story before, but it’s funny and perhaps the only good thing
about having survived a TBI, the long coma, and the resulting
amnesia/memory loss – is that so many things are new to me. New
experiences, all. Oh, the permanently handicapped license plate is OK
sometimes. But I digress… so, if I have told this story before – forgive
me, the retelling is new to me. It’s a miracle that I remember it to
retell at all. Ahh, the mysteries of the human brain…synapses, short-term
memory, long-term memory, gray matter - no matter – and just where did I
put my keys, anyway?? Quick, the GPS story, before I forget…

Sometime prior to my injury, a friend had found a breeding Vesper Sparrow
in a field in western Chester County. We had gone, seen it and apparently,
we had saved the location with Destiny. A few years ago, we wanted to go
see it and couldn’t remember the spot, but saw Destiny did. We punched it
in and waited. And waited some more. Destiny would say nothing. Turn
after turn, we were winging it – just like the old days. I was yelling at
Destiny – some of it in as colorful language as I could remember. Destiny
ignored me, saying nothing. Meanwhile, I was making wrong turns, but
fudging my way to the locale. Still, there was nothing from Destiny.
Things occasionally were looking familiar, until one of those synapses
connected in my brain and we believed we had reached the correct spot.
Purely serendipitous, I say. Then, as we rolled to a stop and readied to
get out and try for the Vesper Sparrow…THEN came Destiny’s sweet voice, “
You have arrived.”
That was useful! Just what planet is THAT!?!? “Field coffee,” there,
Destiny?? Please have a cup… for ME!

A Cooper’s Hawk was perched upon our hawk watch pavilion as I drove up this
morning– how appropriate. You’re right! He was likely waiting for a cup
of ‘field coffee.’ I know I was and we all know Destiny needed some!!
It’s ‘bird friendly.’ Now, if we can just get it a bit more ‘people
friendly,’ right?

A Raven, an ALMOST daily occurrence now, called at 11:03am.

Yeah, I’ll confess… I went looking for “my mystery sparrow” from yesterday
that I ALMOST saw. I had to. I simply couldn’t resist. So, I carefully
crept down the otherwise vacant meadow trail, to no avail. Hey, that
rhymed! New idea for a blog:
I’ll do it as a poem.
That’ll show them.

My attempt for the sparrow was to no avail,
like searching Elliot Island for a Black Rail.

Pretty bad, eh? You’re right…as a poet, I suck. I’ll spare you and stop
now. I almost wish I hadn’t seen the sparrow to begin with. I’ll just bet
it was a LeConte’s, though.

A Bald Eagle appeared, circling higher and higher…going….Hell, going
wherever he wants! What freedom!! Just a few minutes later, a Peregrine
did the same, getting so high as to be undiscernible as it drifted to the
southeast. Later, two eagles soared by, quite low, providing incredible
looks.

Cause for celebration, I say! I chanced a second mug of “field brew,” – a
risk taker, I am. You only live once…in my case, twice – so, go for it!
Besides, another sip and I could become alert. I wouldn’t want that to
become a habit.

This evening’s after watch walk yielded Palm Warblers, Winter Wren,
Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 7 Wood Ducks, Belted Kingfisher, and a spectacular
flyby Pileated Woodpecker.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
7-Wood Duck, 1-Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, 1-COMMON RAVEN, 2-Horned Lark,
1-Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 9-Palm Warbler, 3-Savannah Sparrow,
12-White-crowned Sparrow, 1-Pine Siskin.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (4): Monarch - 2, Cabbage White,
Clouded Sulphur, Buckeye. Dragonflies (1): Green Darner. Reptiles &
Amphibians (0): Mammals (4): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel,
White-tailed Deer, Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 8.18; Steps: 19,193; Floors:
17.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 52; this season: 130
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like the winds will be wrong, but not strong and
with good clouds.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: