Date: 10/27/17 1:49 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Cold & Windy "Wild Crossbill Chase" At Van Patten Woods Friday 10-27-17
Hello Bird People,

Just as in a "wild goose chase" no goose is found so today no Red
Crossbills were found in the a.m.
at Van Patten Woods although 5 birders looked between 7:45 & 11 a.m.
Quite a few Siskins still around with smaller numbers of Goldfinch &
on my drive out I saw a few PURPLE FINCHES but no sight nor sound of
any Crossbills. But we had 2 flocks of larger than Siskin sized birds
go by that may have been Crossbills but cloudy conditions showed no
color & they never called. They could also have been Waxwings for all
I know. But folks may want to continue looking as yesterday the Red
Crossbills were seen in the early a.m., missed later on & then finally
seen again after 1 p.m. The high winds did not help nor did my ipod
failing before I could use it due to the cold.
Here's my day list:

Van Patten Woods (7:45-11 a.m.)

Canada Goose (about 40 fly-bys)
Turkey Vulture (15-18 going south in 1 large strung out bunch)
Red Tailed Hawk (1)
MERLIN (1 chasing Siskins which also did not help the search much)
Rock Pigeon (2 fly-bys)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (2)
Blue Jay (4-5)
Crow (2 fly-bys)
Chickadee (4)
RED BREASTED NUTHATCH (3-4)
White Breasted Nuthatch (1)
Golden Crowned Kinglet (4)
Robins (15-20)
FOX SPARROW (7)
White Throated Sparrow (5-6)
White Crowned Sparrow (2-IM)
Dark Eyed Junco (35-40)
Red Winged Blackbird (2-M in the conifers & 10 fly-bys)
Grackle (2 fly-bys)
PURPLE FINCH (2-F & 2 more not seen well)
Goldfinch (10-12)
PINE SISKIN (25-30 with some very close & well seen)
Also 3-4 Gull Species flying by but too far away to I.D.

Had I seen the Red Crossbills that would have been species #300 for my
Illinois 2017 year list which is why I chased them & why I kept
looking in spite of the wind & cold temps. Nevertheless I will try
again & hope for better luck.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the last species seen today which was Purple Finch.
Runners-Up to the well seen Fox Sparrows & Pine Siskins.
No award for the Merlin as it's finch chasing behavior may have kept
the Crossbills away.

Al Stokie
Freezing in far northern Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: