Date: 10/27/17 1:01 pm
From: John Kent <k2ent76...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Friday waterfowl
I took the day off and checked some waterfowl spots today.

At Basic Creek Reservoir in Westerlo - typical variety and numbers of ducks, as well as a Pied-billed Grebe and three American Coots. List is at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40142827

From the Alcove Reservoir spillway, a tight raft of about 65 Black Scoters was the highlight. Also seven Surf Scoters, a Horned Grebe, a few American Coots and American Wigeon, and a Common Loon. Most of the birds are quite distant, and would not be identifiable without a scope.

At Stanton Pond in Coeymans the waterfowl assortment was typical: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40143445

After lunch I checked the Green Island/Cohoes area, as well as the trail from under the Twin Bridges across the outlet of Wager's Pond to Clute's Drydock. All I found were the three common gull species, Killdeer, Great Blue Herons, and ten Double-crested Cormorants at Crescent Power Plant.

There were Golden-crowned Kinglets in several locations, and one Ruby-crowned at Basic Creek.

John Kent
Selkirk

Join us on Facebook!