Date: 10/26/17 10:30 pm
From: Tom Crabtree <tc...>
Subject: [obol] Huge Sanderling flock
I'm at a conference in Newport for a few days. After having been cooped up
inside till 7:30pm I decided to take a walk on the beach tonight. At around
8:30 on the beach below the Elizabeth Street Inn I encountered one of the
largest Sanderling flocks I have ever seen. There were somewhere between
750-1500 birds in a flock that at one point stretched out to 50 yards in
length. When I first saw them they were in a large, unmoving white mass,
that at a distance I passed off as a large flock of roosting gulls. When I
got closer and they started dashing about and stretched out along the beach
I realized what they were. They must have just arrived because in the
daylight there wasn't a single shorebird on this stretch of beach. I wish I
had a camera with me that could take a picture that would have done justice
in the unlit darkness of the beach. It was a mesmerizing sight that I stood
and watched for at least five minutes.

Tom Crabtree

Join us on Facebook!