Date: 10/26/17 3:31 pm
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] A Steller's Jay can be a great addition to a list...
... when you've been waiting 2 1/2 yrs. to add it to your house list
(#123). I knew / hoped / expected to see one since they are only 2 miles
away in Ashland but I'm in primarily an oak habitat so not ideal for STJA.
I was so excited for what is often a common bird. I was on the couch
looking out the window and saw what appeared to be a jay (size and shape)
in an oak... at first I didn't think much of it, but it moved differently
than a Calif Scrub-Jay (don't ask me what it was, it was just somehow
different in my brain)... I couldn't see colors or the crest but just had a
feeling, so I went out and confirmed my suspicion. I am fascinated by how
the brain processes all the clues to reach an ID. Every time I see a bird
for a fleeting moment, in the distance, with backlighting, etc. and can
make an ID based on size, shape, behavior, and habitat it brings me a
smile.