Date: 10/26/17 1:56 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden & Heritage Park In Wheeling Thursday 10-26-17
Hello Bird People,

Thought I'd go to Montrose this a.m. but wasn't ready to go in time to
beat the rush hour traffic so I went to the Botanic Garden instead.
Saw 41 species although none were special. I'll highlight the species
of some interest in case you'd rather not read the entire list.

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:45-11:45 a.m./Covered all areas this time)

D.C. Cormorant (3)
P.B. Grebe (2)
Great Blue Heron (4)
Canada Goose (139)
Wood Duck (9 in B.Brown Pond)
Mallard (14)
REDHEAD (1-M continuing in the B.Brown Pond)
Cooper's Hawk (1 adult fly-by)
Coots (6 with the Grebes)
KILLDEER (2 but on the island in the Northern Lake as the backwaters
remain flooded)
Ring Billed (1) & Herring (4) Gulls
Rock Pigeon (3 fly-bys)
Mourning Dove (3 in McDonald Woods)
KINGFISHER (1 diving)
Red Bellied (4), Downy (2) & Hairy (1-F) Woodpeckers
EASTERN PHOEBE (2)
Blue Jay (8-10)
Crow (1 distant fly-by)
Chickadee (6)
RED BREASTED NUTHATCH (4 again on the west side of the road around the
Northern Lake)
White Breasted Nuthatch (2 in McDonald Woods)
Golden Crowned Kinglet (5)
EASTERN BLUEBIRD (6, mostly males & all in the B.Brown Preserve. Not
common at the CBG)
Hermit Thrush (only 1)
Robins (30-35)
Starling (2 fly-bys)
Y.R. Myrtle Warbler (4)
Song Sparrow (1)
FOX SPARROW (6, all but 1 in McDonald Woods)
White Throated Sparrow (15-20 with most in McDonald Woods)
White Crowned Sparrow (1-AD & 3-IM)
Dark Eyed Junco (36-38, everywhere)
Red Winged Blackbird (7-8)
Common Grackle (6)
House Finch (1-PR)
SISKIN (1 called for an I.D. but small finch flocks kept flying by &
not all were Goldfinch)
Goldfinch (20-25)
House Sparrow (3)

Looked hard for Redpolls or Crossbills but found none.

Heritage Park Wheeling (12:40-1:10 p.m.)

As I went to lunch in Wheeling I made a stop here in case the ducks
had returned as this place is good for both diving & puddle ducks when
they come in. But they had NOT arrived yet just as they have not
arrived at the CBC.

The small stream had only 20 Mallards & the soccer field had Canada
Geese (~450) &
Ring Billed Gulls (95). Land birds heard were Blue Jay & Goldfinch.

The big pond had D.C. Cormorant (1), both P.B. (5) & HORNED (1)
Grebes, one Great Blue Heron, more Mallards (39), Coots (14), more
Ring Billed Gulls (32) & 2 adult Herring Gulls.

After the Waukegan shorebirds had deserted me yesterday I was glad to
see 2 shorebirds today even if they were only Killdeer. Therefore
Bird-Of-The-Day goes to those 2 Killdeer & if you think about it how
often does that species get to be top bird? Today they made it.
Runners-Up to the Fox Sparrows & the Bluebirds.

License Plate Of The Day to one from Arkansas seen in Des Plaines & I
should mention a plate from Nevada seen on Sunday at Montrose that I
forgot to mention before.

Al Stokie
Close to home in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>