Date: 10/26/17 12:57 pm
Subject: Mystery shorebird
Yesterday afternoon I had a brief look at a flyover bird. No binocs, a few seconds overhead before a building blocked my view. It appeared to be a shorebird and built like a large plover. I did not see much, but I didn't see either a long bill or long trailing legs. I would have forgotten about it altogether except for the flight call. Twice it gave a loud "krick-krick", taking about 1.5 seconds for each two note call. The call was low pitched and harsh, non-musical. Very distinctive, but of what?
This was at the UNC Coastal Studies Institute, where we have lots of open ground, including dry fields and salt marsh on the sound.
Jeff Lewis
Manteo, NC

Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!